Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Father's Day!

Happy Father's day to my dad, grandpa, Grandbob, and all the other fathers! They do celebrate fathers day here in the Philippines as well.
Another week has flown by! This past Tuesday, the 12th, was independence day here in the Philippines. They don't do anything to spectacular here to celebrate - there was a Youth for Jesus event at the park in downtown Lucena that I went with some of the kids and the youth from Bethel to. They had worship music and a couple different speakers, some of it was patriotic, but for the most part it wasn't. I asked if they have any big celebrations or fireworks to celebrate their independence day, but it didn't sound like they do anything like that. I wasn't expecting Bay City fireworks, but I thought they might do a little something in the city seeing as how it is a decent size city - but nope. That's okay, the youth event was fun too!
School started Wednesday, but it was only orientation, so I didn't really have to do anything, just be there in the morning for introductions and I tried learning the names of someone the kids. It's a small school - I think total between the 6 grades there are maybe 40 students - so learning the names shouldn't be too terribly difficult.
Thursday regular classes started, however I was sick again, so I spent most of the day upstairs resting. Friday I was back to somewhat normal though so I did the devotion in the morning and then PE in the afternoon. We only have two separate classes for PE, one for the younger kids and onefor the older.
With the younger kids I tried doing some relay races, but I think only 2 out of the 15-20 kids actually understood what I was saying. It showed when we started, and what we had talked about and even practiced walking through once, was scarcely what took place. So we stopped that and ended up playing a kind of tag - they all seemed to understand that...haha. With the older kids we just played capture the flag - the all already knew that game and enjoy it, so we took the easy route.
Most of the Sankey kids are now in high school or college. The college students started this past week as well, but the kids who will being to high school don't start until tomorrow. So we spent the last few nights playing basketball since they won't be able to as much once school has started and they will have homework in the evenings and have to go to bed at a decent time so they can get up early.
Each month they rotate chores, and those responsible for washing the clothes have to get up at 4am!! That way they can wash the clothes and they can dry during the day.
I'll try to remember to post something midweek this week, maybe with any stories that take place during school.
Happy Father's Day, again!

2 comments:

  1. GrandBob said THANKS for remembering with your Father's Day greetings! We hope you are feeling better and your week goes well. Thanks again for your postings, and I'm thankful we got to 'FB' 'chat'. Love you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could have volunteered to do a small fireworks display! I do believe you have some experience in that. Just think if you were the one to bring fireworks to their culture for their independence day celebration.

    ReplyDelete