Tuesday, June 26, 2012

June 27th

One more quick post before I head off to camp tomorrow. In the email sent out to all the counselors we were asked not to bring computers or similar devices, so I will be leaving my tablet here at Sankey which means I won't be posting anything on here or responding to anyone's emails for the next few weeks. I will try to remember to take pictures while at camp so that I have those and some stories to post when I get back.
The last few days here have been fairly routine. I can tell the kids at school are becoming more used to and comfortable around me. The first couple computer classes they were really quiet and attentive, a little timid - that's not so much the case anymore. The first graders on Monday were something special. One of the little girls who I joke with before school and when I see the kids sometimes at recession - she continued the joking right on through computer class. I try to use tagalog words intermittently, just for simple things and to ask if the kids are understanding things, and this little girl everytime I said something in Tagalog would imitate me (fairly well I might add...haha). The other kids joined in soon thereafter - we didn't get a whole lot accomplished, but that's okay.
The last couple nights when I have been down sending emails, some of the kids come down and work on their homework as well. Occasionally I am able to help - one girl had english homework where she had a vocabulary word and had to select the correct definition from three choices. I thought I'd be able to help here no problem - there were some tough words though! Granted my vocabulary is extremely extensive, but I thought for sure be able to help with high school english vocabulary in a non-native English speaking country. Nope - we had to use the dictionary for 75% of the terms. Several words I had never heard of, and am confident most Americans have never used.
Well, that's about it - oh, I did catch bigger and more aggressive gecko to guard my table, but I'm beginning to think geckos have small appetites or just simply don't eat ants.
Anyways, I will post again in a few weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Jonathan, you might need four geckos -- one at each corner of your table. You're always in our prayers for safety, good health and your work for God. Praying that your two weeks at Rizal goes well (or has gone well). Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete