Sunday, July 22, 2012

July 23rd

Week 3, take 2 (this had better work)...
As I think I mentioned, the Friday after camp ended two of the people from Maryland left for Tanza - they were going to meet up with a couple of Filippino nurses who run a free health clinic to her with that.
The rest of us went in on Saturday morning, and then by the time we got everyone's bags dropped off at the appropriate places (there were six of us, and we stayed two people at three different places) it was the afternoon before we made it out to the church we would be joining for the next few days. I ended up staying with one other person at the house of American missionary family.
That afternoon we met some people at the church they were getting things set up for a multi-church event the next afternoon after the morning service. So we tried helping get stuff set up with that for a little while, and then we went to the home of one of the ladies who attends the church because she was having a weekly children's bible study/feeding program. So we stopped in there for a little bit - long enough for me to teach them (some of the kids already knew though) the chicken dance (or in my broken Tagalog: manook sayow) and the macarena.
To get back to the church from this lady's house, we all ended I cramming in the cab of a garbage truck because we couldn't find two tricycles (which is how we got out there) to take us back - so that was kind of fun.
Sunday morning we attended this same church, and then we're there pretty much all day. The multi-church event started around 4 or 5 and they had music, skits, musical skits, and Mr Mauk, Miriam's dad, came and performed his spinning tops show.
Something he hasbeen doing for over 20 years now I believe, he combines his hobby of spinning tops (which is much more elaborate than I ever thought top spinning could be - and really quite fascinating) with a message of faith and reliance on God. I had seen this the two weeks before as he performed at each camp as well, but this time he spoke in Tagalog, and it was probably one of the neatest things I have seen since being here. Just his ability as an American to communicate and captivate a Filippino audience in such a unique way - I don't know, it may not sound like much, but I thought it was.
We had several people to drop off on the way home, but only one vehicle - so we ended up fitting 16 people in vehicle about the size of a Ford Explorer - crammed, yes - but also impressive.
Monday morning we got up and helped with another health clinic at the church (like what the first two people who went on Friday did). Well, a few of them helped - myself and one other girl, because we have no medical experience, jut played with the kids and gave out candy. Several mothers (and a few fathers) brought their kids by for routine checkups and to get different vitamins of sort. I did get to talk to one dad for a while - and at the end of our conversation he very genuinely told me that he had always wanted an American friend and that I was his first - I am glad to be so! The picture I posted before of me and the Filippino man, that is him, Rolando.
Tuesday we stayed in the area because we were going to meet up with some of the other counselors for dinner, so we did that and then headed back to RRC. We got back late and we're up and out early the next morning to go to Palm Beach Resort (the one here in the Philippines). <br>
The Mauks, the group from Maryland, and myself went and had a nice relaxing beach day at a very nice resort. We rented a few kubos and played games and swam (some in the sea and some in the pool). I actually got to do a first while there! Mr Mauk had brought along his scuba and snorkeling gear, so I borrowed some of it and went out snorkeling. About 50 yards out from the shore there was some reef with a surprising number of tropical fish living in it for not being very large. I stayed out there for probably close to an hour checking out all the fish/searching for a clown fish (which I never found) - it was really quite fun! <br>
Thursday I got up and packed and then went with the Marylandians (I don't know what the official name is for people from Marlyand) to the market of that they could get some souvenirs to take back to the states with them. Then shortly after lunch one of their drivers brought me back here to Sankey.
It was a wonderful three weeks, but it was also great to be back here and to see everyone again!

1 comment:

  1. I wish you had found a clown fish! You could have named him Marlin or Nemo :) I promise that's not all I got from this post - it all was great! I just love clown fish.

    ReplyDelete