Friday, April 6, 2012

April 6th

Yesterday I went with the youth and young adults from the church in pagbilao to help with a food program for kids near their church. I really enjoyed that! We walked around asking kids to come to the basketball court where they did some skits and dancing for the kids and then had food. It was funny, before we started I was talking to just a couple of the kids, and when I turned around, from what seemed like out of nowhere, another 15 or 20 kids appeared and where staring at me. I do my best to entertain, but not being able to speak but a little Tagalog made that interesting. We tried playing Simon says, but they didn't quite get to only copy me if Simon said, so it ended up justbeing copy what I do. (the pictures below are from that)
This morning we went to the river for some baptisms of some people from pagbilao church, and then we spent the morning there swimming. It was a beautiful river, very clear! My sunburn got a little worse though. Some of the kids and I have been using comparing skin tones as of late and we are joking that soon I will be Pinoy (Filippino).
There is another of camping here at Sankey, I spent a couple hours this evening with them. I was originally just going to go talk to them for a couple minutes, but ended up eating with them and talking with them for quite a while. I have found that people in the Philippines eat a lot, or at least offer food a lot. One thing is for sure, I will never go hungry during my time here!




3 comments:

  1. Jonathan, first thing each morning GrandBob and I always look at your blog --- always pleased to see your pictures and to hear about your life in the Philippines!! We are very proud of you and the work you are doing there. Please watch out for too much sun and please drink lots of water (your grandparent advice for the week!). We love you and send you our prayers always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are having a good time buddy. I can definitely tell by your pictures there is no where else you would rather be. Those kids love you,(Probably like my kids love me, although I bet your kids are a little nicer to one another and more respectful to you!) and you're doing awesome things. Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jonathan - I agree with both Brent's and Nonna and GrandBob's comments -- always enjoy reading your posts and seeing the pictures and if you haven't had the time to put on something new I go back and look at previous ones!! I think you are doing a fantastic job keeping us all up-to-date - thank you. Brent is right - those kids love you and I'm sure you are having just as much fun as they are. Please be careful of too much sunburn, at least for a few more weeks, by then (knowing how you tan) you may look Filippino, except for the light colored hair! I am so proud of you and all that you are doing. You are in my prayers always. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete