Friday, March 23, 2012

Hi from the Philippines

<p>Sorry mom for not posting anything yesterday, and I'm sure you have been wondering if I made it safely, and I did! Toto and Allen picked me up from the airport and we got back to Sankey around 2am, and we're up for breakfast around 7... which will actually be sleeping in on most days. They had a graduation ceremony for some of the kids at Sankey in the morning followed by lunch. I am getting to experience all sorts of authentic Philippines food. Rice at every meal, whole fish, I have even had stuffed squid and eaten every part of a pig. They only parts they don't eat are the feet, bones and teeth. We had blood soup which is the pigs blood mixed with the innards and a few other ingredients. It was actually quite good. And today for lunch we had a soup made from the pigs head. Also quite good.
Right now I am trying to learn names and more Tagalog. Almost everyone speaks some English, but it would be easier if I knew more Tagalog.
I have just been hanging out with the kids getting to know them. It sounds during the summer the kids help out with alot of service projects and I will be joining them in doing those.
So far so good, but I am really enjoying being here. The heat is taking some getting used to, I was actually sweating so bad yesterday that a couple different people asked if I was okay. I am, it's just gonna take some getting used to. Cold showers and changes of clothes will be frequent.
Will post more later, and hopefully some pictures. I haven't taken any yet, I don't want to come across as too touristy.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Jonathan!! Yes I have been wondering how the rest of your travels went, but I assumed "no news was good news"! Sounds like you are getting used to the Philippine lifestyle right away and quite easily. Glad to hear you like the food, it sounds very interesting! You will be speaking more of the language very soon, at least you knew some Tagalog before you left. I'm sure the children are enjoying hanging out with you too. I will be interested to hear about the service projects that you will be doing. Glad to hear you enjoy being in the Philippines. Please take care of yourself especially until you get used to the hot climate (that's all the motherly advice I will give you!!) I will look forward to reading more and seeing pictures whenever you can post them. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathan, so glad to hear all your news!!! We just knew that you would adjust easily and quickly! The food sounds interesting -- you know people use the word, 'interesting' when they don't know quite what to say!! I also second your Mom's advice of 'watching the hot climate and your body temperature' -- that's all the grandmotherly advice I'll give --at least for now!!! Take care and remember you are always in our prayers. Love, Nonna and GrandBob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Water, water and more water! That is my motherly advice. Sounds like you are being a trooper. I think I would have starved by now:) When I told Connor you drank blood he said you must be crazy! We talk daily about what you are doing and pray often. You are an amazing example four our family as you take God's word to the ends of the Earth! We love you bunches! Tami

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh, the food sounds so yummy. I remeber the days of stopping by the outdoor markets and buying whole fish for dinner when it was 90 outside, and we did not get sick. Proud of you brother, keep serving the kingdom and loving on some kids. You will be used to the heat in no time. Thanks for making us part of this amazing journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I don't even know what to say about all the lovely cuisine you're getting to try. I wonder if they eat snakes in the Philippines? You should definitely try it :)
    It's great to hear you made it safely and I hope you're having a blast so far!
    Praying for you and all your adventures! Oh-and something is coming your way in the mail...let's just say Landon and I did another great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jon,

    Just thought I would let you know that I was driving last night and looked out my window and there in the western sky, clear as can be was Orion. After our discussion at your going-away party, I immediately thought of you. It is amazing how God speaks to us! Hope all is well and that God is challenging you and showing himself to you. Be on the lookout for Orion...

    Nate

    ReplyDelete