Monday, March 26, 2012

Sunday, March 25

(I was going to post this yesterday, Sunday, but didn't get a chance to. Just so it is clear what days I am referring to when I say words like 'yesterday' or 'this morning')
So far the biggest barrier has been not being able to speak Tagalog. However I have plenty of willing teachers! Kuya Toto and his family have been helping me, as well as some of the kids. Yesterday one of the 8 year old boys, Genesis, spent a while pointing out different animals and things around us and would teach me the Tagalog word followed by some rigorous quizzing. Later another couple of the boys sat me down and quizzed me some more. I'm not the quickest learner, but they are being patient with me. <br>
Played basketball last night with some of the older kids. Even though it was night it was still very hot. I would bet that I lost at least five pounds just in the hour and a half we played. I am a head taller than almost everyone who played, but they play a more running style of ball over here so my height helped some, but not a ton.<br>
After church this morning I went with Kuya Toto and his family to the mall for lunch and then to do a little grocery shopping. I don't know if I mentioned this in my last post, but most Philippines eat with their hands... some use silverware but the majority use hands. So I have been using my hands most of the time as well. It felt strange eating with my hands in public - I kept expecting my mom to give me the look and tell me to use my silverware... haha. <br>
Grocery shopping was an experience too. I definitely stood out in the the crowd, and noticed several people staring. Interesting tidbit: they carrying whitening soaps in stores here. I asked what it was for, and and apparently a lot of Philippine people want to lighter skin, and this soap does that. Americans want to be darker, Phillipines want to be lighter... I thought that was kind of funny. </p>
<p>And to whom it may concern (Brent and Kate): I have come to the conclusion that the Philippines equivalent to squirrels are dogs. Kind of anticlimatic I know, but there are lots of dogs roaming around and always crossing streets... closest thing I have seen to the characteristics of squirrels. Several 7 Eleven too. Haven't been to one yet, burning asked some of the kids and they do have slurpees - and apparently there are same day free refills!!! </p>

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for answering my questions. You can now relax for the remainder of your stay. :) hahaa So glad everything is going well for you, Jon!

    ReplyDelete