Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day!!

I want to start by wishing a happy mother's day to all the moms! Especially to my mom, grandmas, and all of those who have been like a mom to me!
Things have been well here the last week. We have done a lot of painting - both in the classrooms and on the outside of Sankey/Cugley. There was a lot to paint, but when you have 20 or so people working on it, it goes fairly quickly.
Last Thursday I helped with another feeding program, this time with a different church though. This one was held at a nearby elementary school, and there was a fairly good turnout of kids. We played some games, shared a bible story with them, and then passed out soup and some school supplies that had been donated. In those kind of situations some of the kids are really shy around me, while others have no problem talking to me. Between the little Tagalog I speak and the little English that they speak, we can usually get by pretty well...haha!
Well, basketball is over now. We lost the first two games of the best of 3 series. It was fun playing, but I am kind of glad it over. Those last couple games that really meant something it was becoming difficult to manage my level of competitiveness and having a God-honoring attitude. It comes back to having the mindset of what I am here to do - not to win basketball games (though there is nothing wrong with that, or even with being competitive so long as it is done approprately) but to love those around me, even if they are wearing a different jersey.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Mothers Day wishes and a BIG thank you for the phone call - what a great gift!! I always enjoy reading your blog and seeing the pictures here and on Facebook, but it was really nice to talk to you. Glad you have been able to have some down time - seems like you have been constantly busy since you got there two months ago. I know you like to stay busy, but you need those slow times in order to re-energize. As always, we enjoy reading about your experiences there in the Philippines. Prayers and hugs! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathan, thanks so much for the FB message on my wall and your blog greetings for Mothers Day ---- it was so thoughtful of you to remember. We enjoyed your latest blog -- as we do all of your postings. We are always so proud of you --- you are humble and very wise. Glad you could get a bit of rest and we pray that you're feeling well now. Can't believe you've been at Sankey for almost two months -- time does fly by. Take care -- love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete