Monday, May 21, 2012

May 21st

Still painting! Haha! Today we moved up in the world though, literally, as we painted the roof of the staff house. Myself and one other guy did most of it, while others worked in the classrooms and doing other things around Sankey. Today was my last day of work here at Sankey for a couple days though. The church that I have been going to with the Luchavez family is hosting a 4 day camp that I am going to be a counselor for, and that starts tomorrow. We will spend 2 days at the church and then 2 days at a beach somewhere - they have told me what beach but I forget. That kind of thng happens a lot - the combination of strange place names and the accent of the person who is telling it to me - I usually ended up just saying "oh - okay," because I figure I will just be riding with someone else anyway! So, because of this camp I won't be able to post anything new until the end of the week - but then I should have some stories of what we did at the camp!
There is a big group of campers here at Sankey now - probably 50-75. We kind of just stay out their way as much as possible. My new thing to do, I can understand if I am passing someone and they say (in Tagalog) to whoever they are with: "there's an American" - I like to reply (in Tagalog): "Where? No, I'm Filippino." Haha - most of them understand its a joke, but some of them give me a weird look.
Going to go up to my house early tonight - I have been reading (Woah! I know, me, reading - those two words often aren't in the same sentence if I am speaking) a book called God's Smuggler. I am actually really enjoying it - its an old book, but it's about how a Dutch guy came to be a missionary. Great lessons about redemption and living with that missional mindset wherever you may be, and learning to trust God, for everything! I would recommend it to anyone looking for a decent read with some substance.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jonathan. Great post --- thoroughly enjoyed the 'thing you're doing' using Tagalog to passerbys who think you're American!! Very FUNNY!Also hilarious about really not needing to understand just where you're going since you're not driving!! :-) I tried to see if Amazon had an ebook edition of "God's Smuggler" for my Kindle -- no such luck. Hope you're gaining some weight back, and praying for your work. Love and hugs!!

    ReplyDelete