Thursday, May 3, 2012

<p>This is in response to a question that a number of people have asked me in an email or facebook message - so hopefully all of you will read this that way I only have to write one response :) Essentially the question is: has my experience here in the Philippines thus far led to a lot of "spiritual growth" in myself, or drawn me noticeably closer to God?</p>

<p>Many of us have experienced that "spiritual high" that comes after a short term mission trip - whether it be a week of doing inner city missions or a habitat building trip - those, for most people, myself included, tend to be times of great spiritual growth. So one might think that because I have been here 6 or 7 weeks, I should have a similar, but magnified result, right? Not really. I don't have that "spiritual high" feeling, and any "spiritual growth" that may be taking place has been so gradual that I haven't really noticed. </p>

<p>Granted I haven't been here that long, and in the grand scheme of things 5 months really isn't that long either, but this experience has been more like a marathon, whereas the one week mission trip I went on in the past was more like a sprint. On my week long trip, everyday was a good day and there was almost always that immediate result and gratification from knowing "I'm doing mission work." Nothing that I have been doing feels like "mission work." I haven't had the feeling that I am making a huge impact in anyway or on anyone. I don't know if this distinction will make a lot of sense, but it feels more like I am simply living here, than it does that I am on a mission trip. Everything has a very real feel sense about it. </p>

<p>I have good days, and days that aren't so good. Days when I am encouraged, and days when certain realities can be discouraging. I am experiencing the same high and low feelings as I did when I was living back in the States and going to school or working. But here, because I have the mindset that I am here as a missionary, I am more intentional in my actions. I take more seriously the challenge to be an example of Jesus to those around me. I am still far from perfect emulation, but the thought of being that example is more prevalent and influential in my thought processes and decisions.

I am learning what it looks like to have a mission-oriented mindset in everyday living; when there aren't always immediate results and it doesn't always feel like you are making a huge impact. Whether or not I have the title of "missionary" should not influence the way I live. I should be intentionally loving and trying to serve those around me not because I am a missionary, but because I claim to be a follower of Jesus - because when I return to the States I lose that title of "missionary," but I will still be a Christian.

I appreciate the encouraging letters and emails that I receive from many of you. May I also encourage you all to continue to live as Christians and to keep loving and serving those people in your own life, whether they be fellow students, coworkers, family, or friends. You may never know the difference you make in their lives or feel like you are making an impact, but I hope you can come to find joy and satisfaction in simply being obedient by loving and serving them, for it is then that God is glorified. And it is when God is glorified in our own lives that the lives around us are most impacted.

4 comments:

  1. Jon. This was awesome! Thanks so much for sharing what God is teaching you. So encouraging and so cool to hear you have a "living there" attitude while being more mindful. Hope you are doing great!!! Keep loving others! Praying you don't grow weary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you Jonathan :) That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jonathan, this is so heartfelt and eloquently stated. You are having more of an impact than you may know and are a blessing to many.

    ReplyDelete